Starting yesterday i.e., 15-feb-2012, the Indian railways made it mandatory to carry photo identity cards if you are travelling in any of the higher classes. Till now it was only mandatory to the Tatkal e-ticket or i-ticket holders and normal i-ticket holders. Indian railways already issued a notice No.2011/TG-I/20/P/Tatkal to all the zonal offices, GMs, PRs and booking offices last month. They have also made changes to their software and it in action starting yesterday. So, now on it is mandatory to carry the Idntity proofs irrespective of whether it was booked on internet or from the computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counter, when you are traveling in any of the higher classes like AC-3 tier, AC-2 tier, 1st AC, AC Chair Car and Executive Classes. CRIS made necessary provision in the software for indicating the message on this account on the ticket issued in the above said classes through computerized PRS/I-ticket.
Railways believe this action would help in eliminating the illegal transfer of tickets and prevent activities of touts as now they will not be able book reserved tickets in fictitious names and sell them on premium to normal passengers. This action may also result in better availability of reserved accommodation to the genuine passengers and increased security as their whereabouts are thoroughly verified. through id cards
At present the passengers with Tatkal ticket and e-ticket are to carry original proof of identity during the course of railway journey. With a view to preventing the cases of traveling on transferred tickets, now it has been decided that any one of the passengers/the passenger booked on the tickets issued from computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRs) and internet (i-ticket), undertaking journey in AC-3 tier, AC-2 tier, 1st AC, AC Chair Car and Executive Classes, will also have to carry any one of the nine prescribed proofs of identity (in original) during the journey and produce the same as and when required failing which all the passengers booked on that ticket will be treated as without ticket and charged accordingly.
The list of valid proofs of identity are as under:-
- Voter Photo identity card issued by Election Commission of India.
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department.
- Driving Licence issued by RTO.
- Photo identity card having serial number issued by Central/State Government.
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized school/College for their students.
- Nationalized Bank Passbook with photograph
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph.
- Unique Identification Card ”Aadhaar”
In another notice, railways has given clarity on central government issued id cards. Scope of the term “Photo identity card having serial number issued by Central/State Government” permissible under the scheme is very wide and it covers a large number of photo identity cards, some of which are as under (Below list is a sample one, You can carry any central/state government issues id cards which has serial number and photograph on them.):
- Pension Pay Orders(PPO)
- Ration Card with photographs
- Senior citizen cards
- Below Poverty (BPL) cards
- ESI cards (with photograph) issued for taking treatment in ESI dispensaries
- CGHS Cards (with photograph) issued to individual family members of Central Govt. employees.