When you are seriously doing your work that requires you to start your application or web server, but the server failed starting and shown up an alert message that the xyz.log file is locked by some other process and it cannot start. Even a normal operation say editing a text file may also lead to this problem. When we try to delete a file or folder in Windows, we see annoying messages such as “Cannot delete file: Access is denied”, “Cannot delete folder: It is being used by another person or program”, “There has been a sharing violation”, “The source or destination file may be in use”, “The file is in use by another program or user”, “Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use” or “Cannot read from the source file or disk”. This is usually because the file or folder is in use by another program or user or it was terminated abruptly in the earlier execution. If the previous process was not closed properly or terminate abruptly due to some error, it still holds the lock on it and you will not be able to edit it and results the above message. Though the issue is not so very common to the windows users, once it comes you have left with no option except to restart your computer. IObit Unlocker is an ideal tool for such situations. It is a freeware tool from IObit that releases the file or folder that’s in use by other programs and allows you to quickly remove or modify it.
To test i deliberately created a lock on a file and tried to rename the file which failed with the error message “File In Use ….”. Using the IObit unlocker i removed the lock and now able to proceed with my normal actions on the file.
- Supports Drag & Drop of locked application to the GUI
- Support opening the files from the GUI
- Opens context menu upon the right click on the files
- Normal mode to terminate only the main process
- Advanced mode which is a Forced mode (If Normal mode fails) would terminate all related and dependent processes
- Unlock, Unlock & Delete, Unlock & Copy, Unlock & Move, Unlock & Rename options
- Multilingual GUI – Supports English, Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Czech, Danish, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.
Double click and follow the Next button till the end. This tool offers to install other software like a toolbar and Advanced System Care (ASC) tool from the same vendor. You can just click on the Skip button in the installation window if you don’t like it.
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 ; Supports both 32bit and 64bit