Sweet Home 3D is an Free and Open Source interior design software that helps you place your furniture on a house 2D plan, with a 3D preview. This program is aimed at people who want to design their interior quickly, whether they are moving or they just want to redesign their existing home. Numerous visual guides help you draw the plan of your home and layout furniture. You may draw the walls of your rooms upon the image of an existing plan, and then, drag and drop furniture onto the plan from a catalog organized by categories. Each change in the 2D plan is simultaneously updated in the 3D view, to show you a realistic rendering of your layout. The program by default comes with predefined objects and provides an easy to use interface that lets you drag and drop these objects into their place on the layout. If required, you can also download additional 3D models and object libraries to enhance your house model.
Sweet Home 3D also comes with a cool feature, called “Virtual Visit”, which enables you to view your room from the perspective of a visitor. You can move around within your plan, adjust the viewing angle and perspective, and even create a video of your virtual walk-through. It also have some nice features like import of home blueprints, customizable light effects, import of background images, viewpoint markers, saving current view etc., Sweet Home 3D support export to different document, image and video formats like PDF, bitmap, PNG, SVG, OBJ, MOV and others. There is a well written user guide available for the beginners.
- Draw straight, round or sloping walls with precise dimensions using the mouse or the keyboard.
- Insert doors and windows in walls by dragging them in the plan, and let Sweet Home 3D compute their holes in walls.
- Add furniture to the plan from a searchable and extensible catalog organized by categories such as kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom…
- Change color, texture, size, thickness, location and orientation of furniture, walls, floors and ceilings.
- While designing the home in 2D, simultaneously view it in 3D from an aerial point of view, or navigate into it from a virtual visitor point of view.
- Annotate the plan with room areas, dimension lines, texts and show the North direction with a compass rose.
- Create photo realistic images and videos with the ability to customize lights and control sunlight effect according to the time of day and geographic location.
- Import home blueprint to draw walls upon it, 3D models to complete default catalog, and textures to customize surfaces.
- Print and export PDFs, bitmap or vector graphics images, videos and 3D files in standard file formats.
- Extend the features of Sweet Home 3D with plug-ins programmed in Java, or by developing a derived version based on its Model View Controller architecture.
- Choose the language displayed in the user interface of Sweet Home 3D and its rich help from 20 languages.
- Sweet Home 3D to run it offline under Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Solaris, An online version also available which requires a Java plugin installed for your browser
Installation programs are available for almost all operating systems like windows, Linux, mac etc., You just have to follow the normal procedure for installing on your operating system. There is a Java .jar file available which works on all operating systems where ever Java is installed and it doesn’t require any installation, works like a portable tool. If you already have the Java on your machine i would suggest to download the .JAR file which is very less in size. During the installation this tool doesn’t offer any 3rd party software.
Version Reviewed: 3.4
A browser with Java plugin installed (for Online version)
.Jar download requires Java 5 or later installed on your computer
Windows 98 to Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) to 10.7 (Lion), various Linux systems and Solaris
Sweet Home 3D download page