Managing the updates of your favorite software on windows is not so easy. There is no concept like an Update Manager as it is there in Ubuntu. There are few software utilities available which can give you the updates of the installed software on windows environment but no tool works for 100% software. Earlier I covered few software update managers. The Software Updates Monitor (SUMo) is another easy-to-use software updates informer tool that will quickly scan your PCs installed applications, and let you know if any have updates available. It also works as a portable application, means no installation unlike many other similar category tools.
Upon installation and first run, SUMo scans your computer and builds a database of your software. Then click the Check button and it will go online, compare your installation with the latest version that’s available, and highlight any programs that are out of date. SUMo identifies updates under 3 different categories. Yellow star symbol indicates the installed software has some update, orange triangle icon indicates the software has a major version released and a green icon indicates the software is upto date which require no action from you. The good thing is that it allows you to add your favorite Portable Apps also to your check list using the Add button.
If you’ve a lot of software installed then this can make for a lengthy report, but fortunately SUMo makes good use of colour coding and icons to help make the relevant information stand out. Once you’ve identified a program you’d like to upgrade, then, you should select it and click the Get Update button. Even this tool also doesn’t take you to the author’s site, unfortunately, but it provides a link to google search so that you can search the web or various download sites for the program in a few clicks.
- Automatic detection of installed software
- Detects required updates / patches for your software
- Portable version available
- Filter / authorize Beta versions (user setting)
- Manually add any other type of software if tool misses anything
- Remove any software entry from the list if you don’t want to track the updates
- Ignore list : only tracks software YOU want to track
- More compatibility and less false positive than others Update Monitors (according to users feedback 😉
- Internationalization support with more than 20 languages.
- You can also add portable apps to this tool manually
- Cannot provide the direct download link on the tool
- Takes you to the SUMo’s home page instead of software vendor page
- SUMo’s homepage doesn’t provide link to the software home page, instead provides a links to the Google/Downloader site like softpedia, file hippo etc.,
The tool can be downloaded from the authors site and it has many variations. I suggest to download the compressed file rather the executable because the installable comes with Relevant Knowledge (See more) which will install 3rd party components if you are not careful.
Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows Server, Windows Vista, Windows XP; Supports both 32 bit and 64 bit