TightVNC is a free and commercial remote control software. You can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer using this software. This is useful if you need to use two computers at once, access your home machine while traveling, or to provide remote technical assistance. The remote desktop appears in a local window, and you can use all of its functions as if you were sitting in front of it. TightVNC is an optimized and well supported implementation of the VNC standard. TightVNC is available in all the major platforms like Windows, Linux, Unix, Ubuntu you can get to your desktop regardless of the client platform.
TightVNC Server: Is the core server process which should be installed on the computer to be monitored.
TightVNC Java Viewer: Is the client code which is developed in java and doesn’t require any installation. This is helpful when you have to access your home computer from your office. It is faster and more stable, uses Swing-based user interface and should be perfectly compatible with modern Java environments. The client tool is under active development and the future versions of the viewer will include file transfers, desktop scaling, new color depths, improved security, and more. It will be actively developed.
The download and install is very simple. Once your server is installed, make sure you set the password for your server access using the ‘Set’ button in the Configuration properties.
You can also define which IP addresses can connect to your computer in the ‘Access Control’ settings. You can also set another password for making the configuration changes in the Administration tab.
Using the ‘Attach Listening Viewer’ option in the system tray, the server can connect to the client which is called a reverse connection.
- Free for personal usage, with full source code available. A commercial version is also available.
- Useful in administration, tech support, education, and for many other purposes.
- Available for Windows and Unix, with cross platform Java client included.
- Compatible with standard VNC software, conforming to RFB protocol specifications.
With TightVNC, you can:
- Cut your expenses and save your time on traveling.
- Help your friends and family to solve problems with their computers remotely.
- Make sure nothing wrong is happening on your computers when you are away.
The free TightVNC server and Java viewer can be download from here.