In the process of eliminating the misuse of Tatkal system, IndianRailway planned to shrink the tatkal booking window from the existing two days in advance to one day, railways minister Dinesh Trivedi said on Friday. The new changes would be in effect with in a week. Mr. Trivedi also mentioned that the said restrictions on agents at booking counters will be increased from an hour to two hours (8am-10am). There will be no refund on confirmed tatkal tickets except in the rare cases such as cancellation of trains and late running train. Currently you would get 25% of the ticket cost in case if a confirmed tatkal ticket gets cancelled with in 24 hours. Complaints of touts misusing the scheme were increasing day by day and this left Railway authorities to take up this decision. Identity proof will also be needed to buy tickets at the counters.
- Now you are allowed to book Tatkal tickets only 24 hours in advance
- No refunds on the confirmed Tatkal tickets except in the rare cases
- Agents would be barred from booking in the first 2 hours of Tatkal window i.e., 8am-10am.
- Identity proof is mandatory for booking Tatkal tickets at the counters, currently Identity proof is mandatory only for internet booking.
- Passengers number is restricted to 4 from the current 6, per ticket (for one PNR) for Tatkal booking
“There were many complaints regarding misuse of Tatkal tickets. The changes that will be effective within a week has been made to prevent its misuse” Vinay Mittal, chairman of Railway Board said.