Indian Railways which is the worlds fourth large railway network has taken another step towards establishing the green environment in Railways. In 2008, Indian Railways has taken decision to make Railways Eco Friendly and their first decision towards this is to introduce eco-friendly toilets in Indian Rails. The installation of eco-friendly toilets concept was announced by then Railway Minister during the presentation of the 2008-09 Indian Railway budget in the Parliament. There are two prototypes currently being tested by Indian Railway out of which one was developed by Research Designs and Standards Organization and another by Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. Both prototypes were installed on some trains for testing and Indian Railways has plans to install eco-friendly toilets in its approximately 9,000 trains by 2013.
Indian Railways introduced the online reservation system through IRCTC in 2003. Since then it was mandatory for travelers to take the print of the Electronic Reservation Slip (ERS) to board the train. The ERS would take two pages in the printout which causes lot of paper wastage and intern a big damage to the environment. As part of going Eco Friendly environment Indian Railway is now accepting Virtual Reservation Message (VRM) of the Reservation Slip.
- Virtual Reservation Message (VRM) is a screen-shot of the e-ticket displayed through laptops/palmtops/ Mobile phone.
- VRM is not made mandatory. so, You can also continue using the existing physical ERS as earlier if you don’t like VRM
- ERS/VRM along with any one of the eight prescribed ID proofs in original and the indication of the passenger(s)’ name(s) in the Reservation Chart will authorize the passenger to travel.
- ERS/VRM along with one of the eight prescribed proofs of identity in original will also authorize the passenger to enter the platform on the day of journey and he/she will not be required to purchase platform ticket.
- ERS/VRM along with original id proof will be required to be produced on demand of Ticket Checking Staff on the platform.
- In-case if you failed to show your VRM along with valid ID card, the depart would take it as traveling without Ticket and you would have to pay penalty.
- Make sure your device like mobile/palmtop/Laptop which is having the VRM, is charged fully and functioning properly before boarding the train. They won’t accept any excuses in-case your device fails to open and you would be treated as Traveling Without Ticket case.
Reference : Railway Board Letter No.2008/TG-I/10/P/SMS dated 20.07.2011