Apture Hotspots is a service that allows users of a website to get information about any of the content of that webpage. This service automatically creates dynamic links to information based on what readers want to know. It allows web users to get more information about a particular term in any webpage in a popup window. Apture contacts Wikipedia and other part of the web to get this information for you and all this happens without asking users to leave the web page they are currently browsing. Apture remembers the most frequently asked words from your site and next time those words would be automatically highlighted and they call this technology as Hotspots. Cool, isn’t it?
Apture supports two variations of their software and both variants are free to use. If you own a website, you can install in in your server (a one line java-script code) or you can also install a plugin for your browser.
How to Install Apture in you own Website:
- Go to their website http://apture.com/ and select the second option
- Fill all the details like email, password and your website
- Your installation is over
- Apture tracks the “missing links” by identifying which topics cause visitors to ‘leak’ out to Google.
- This happens when ever user selects a word from your website A special “LearnMore” button would be populated. On keeping your mouse pointer, the information would be shown.
- If a topic is highlighted and engaged with frequently, Apture automatically converts it into a Hotspot.
- Every user thereafter who visits the page can click the Hotspot to instantly access related information without leaving the page
Apture Browser Extension
Advantages of using plugin to your browser is you can use Apture’s hotspot function right from your browser. You don’t need to depend on the website specific installation. Your hotspot function works well with all the websites you are visiting. Apture’s browser extension that gives you instant access to all of the web’s information. Currently Apture supports Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, Safari and Firefox. You can visit their plugins page and download the extension or you can also download it from their home page. After successful installation, Just highlight a topic to learn more!